Wednesday, December 14, 2022

TOB - Dec Mid Month Challenge Reminder

 

Happy Holidays crafty friends,
Welcome to this month's challenge reminder post.  Have you started working on a card/project?  If yes, GREAT!  If no, WHAT are you waiting for?  We want to see your Halloween creations.   Remember  the Two Old Bats Halloween Challenge, runs from the 2nd to the 28th of the month and the theme is always Halloween... ANYTHING related to Halloween!

I can't believe 2022 is coming to an end, WOW!  



Taking inspiration from the mood board, I created a ghostly banner.  This time instead of telling you how I made the card, I'm going to tell you how I would remake it, because I like the design, just not the execution.

I wouldn't have used dimensional adhesive foam on the purple frame (the banner die cut). If you want dimension (for a shaker card, etc.) die cut several extra banners to back the purple one (the top layer).  This will provided more support to the whole banner and look much better.  The outside frame on this die is just too thin and even the thin adhesive foam I used was not thin enough and ended up looking terrible.  I tried to hide it by coloring it black with a marker and made more of a mess.      

Add double side adhesive to the vellum paper before die cutting the ghosts, so that the adhesive won't show.  If your banner was dimensional, all you would need to do was not attach the banner to the card front prior to adding your ghosts on it, so that you could coat the sticky backs of some of the ghost with powder to remove unwanted stickiness.  If you're using acetate, then the ghost would just stick to the acetate.  The vellum adhesive I used was very visible. 

   Sometimes looking at a card I made (but I'm not happy with) with a critical eye helps me make better cards.  Not all cards are stars, but every card I make can teach me something.  I hope this helps.  

Here's this month's mood board for additional inspiration... Hope to see your card/project soon. 



Challenge ends on the 28th, winner will be announced on the 1st on the month before the start on the new challenge.  For a full list of all the rules please visit Two Old Bats Halloween Challenge home page.  unit next time... take care.
               

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Mary! Isn't it just like a designer to turn out a card and then immediately start to critique it? The idea of a ghost banner is a great one and I learned a couple of things from your comments - like using double-sided adhesive on the vellum before die-cutting. I haven't tried that yet, and I have struggles when I want to use vellum.
    Xoxo, Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my taking the card apart helped you 👍 I try not to recreate a card when mistakes are made. Instead I learned from my mistakes and share them with others.

      Delete